This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 5 °C Monday 20 May, 2019
Advertisement

The Pentagon publishes, then deletes, video from Yemen raid (because it's 10 years old)

A US soldier and several civilians were killed in the raid.

Trump Travel Ban Protests Muslims and Yemenis gather in New York to protest Donald Trump's travel ban. Source: Kathy Willens/AP

A US COMMANDO raid in Yemen that was beset with problems has triggered fresh controversy after the Pentagon published a jihadist video meant to highlight the value of intel seized during the operation, only to pull it moments later.

The video, which US special operations forces seized from a computer, depicted a masked jihadist at a whiteboard delivering lessons on ‘How to Destroy The Cross’ and demonstrating how to make explosives.

Trouble is, the video was about 10 years old and had been circulated online before.

“We didn’t know it was an old file,” said US Central Command spokesman Colonel John Thomas.

He said he pulled the video because he didn’t want critics to claim the military was rehashing old intel, and he stressed commandos grabbed a trove of more current and useful files that remain classified.

“I just didn’t want anyone to say… we are putting out the information and trying to be deceptive, because that’s not the case,” Thomas said.

Source: Wochit News/YouTube

The White House and Pentagon have been on the defensive since Sunday’s raid — the first authorised by President Donald Trump — which targeted an Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula compound in Yemen.

A Navy SEAL was killed and three other US troops were wounded in a fierce firefight with AQAP fighters, including women.

Three more service members were injured when their tilt-rotor aircraft made a “hard landing.”

The $75 million MV-22 Osprey had to be destroyed in place to avoid having it fall into enemy hands.

On Wednesday, the Pentagon acknowledged that several non-combatants, including children, had apparently been killed in the raid.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer said yesterday that the raid was a “success by all standards.”

The military seldom puts videos online highlighting intel it has seized.

Thomas said the raid was successful from an intelligence perspective.

“This is more information than we’ve gotten at any one time from an AQAP location (in Yemen) up till now,” he said.

© – AFP 2017

Read: White House defends airstrike in which US soldier and several civilians were killed >

Read: Confusion and outrage over Trump migrant ban as UK secures exemption >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (17)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel