EVERY MORNING, TheJournal.ie brings you the nine stories you need to know with your morning coffee.
1. #VANISHED: Searches are underway for a China-bound Malaysia Airlines jet with 239 people on board that lost contact with traffic controllers.
2. #DOLE: People who’ve appealed a decision to refuse them jobseekers’ benefits are waiting up to 25 weeks for a final decision.
3. #PROTEST: Venezuelans will march again today against the country’s chronic food shortage as part of protests that have left 20 people dead.
4. #WOMEN: A number of events are taking place across Ireland to mark International Women’s Day including a soapbox in Dublin organsied by the National Women’s Council of Ireland.
5. #RENOVATION: The Department of Education’s plans to convert the disused abbey in Rathfarnham where Mother Teresa studied English into secondary school by September
6. #WAR OF WORDS: Vladimir Putin must abandon his “KGB mentality” according the UK’s Deputy PM Nick Clegg, who also told The Guardian that Crimea should be treated differently to the rest of Ukraine.
7. #REHAB: Fine Gael strategist and Rehab director Frank Flannery was paid tens of thousands of Euro by the charity to lobby the Government according to The Irish Times.
8. #SEIZED: Gardaí seized a large amount of cash in several currencies following raids of two houses in Raheny and Clonsaugh in Dublin last night.
9. #HALF NELSON: On this day in 1966 Nelson’s Pillar on Dublin’s O’Connell Street was blown up by the IRA. Here’s what it looked like before and after.