RUSSIAN AUTHORITIES INVESTIGATING a fatal bomb attack at a Moscow airport a week ago say they have identified the suicide bomber.
Thirty-five people, including eight foreign nationals, were killed in the attack at one of Moscow’s busiest airports, Domodedovo.
Investigators said Saturday that they believe a 20-year-old man from the volatile North Caucasus region was behind the Domodedovo airport bombing. The suspect’s name has not been disclosed because the investigation into his possible accomplices continues.
The authorities also said they believe the attack, which took place at the international airport’s arrivals hall, was intentionally directed at foreigners.
Russian security sources told Ria Novosti last week that special services had received a warning that a bomb attack was being planned at the airport.
President Medvedev has fired at least four top transport officials over the attack, including an interior transport minister and the head of Domodedovo’s airport police. Negligent security has been blamed for the explosion.
Investigators also said that they have arrested four people on suspicion of involvement in a foiled terrorist attack in Moscow city on New Year’s Eve. A bomb intended for use by a female suicide bomber is believed to have detonated accidentally early, killing her in a hotel room.
[caption id="attachment_75841" align="alignnone" width="512" caption="Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin speaks to a person injured in the bombing at Domodedovo Airport as he visits the Vishnevsky hospital, Moscow, on 25 January, 2011. (AP Photo/RIA Novosti, Alexei Nikolsky, Pool)"][/caption]