WHEEE! A child dives into the River Ganges in India earlier today to cool off. (Photo: AP Photo/Rajesh Kumar Singh)
THESE ARE THE things you need to know as we round off the day in three easy steps.
THINGS WE LEARNED
#REILLY: Health Minister James Reilly is expected to make a statement to the Dáil tomorrow over his business affairs after he appeared on a debt defaulters’ list over a €1.9 million debt.
#GOAL: The CEO and founder of GOAL, John O’Shea, has been granted a High Court order to stop the charity from suspending him from his job, according to reports.
#GAY MARRIAGE: The Taoiseach’s refusal to say whether or not he is in favour of same-sex marriage has been dismissed as “nonsense” by Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin. Enda Kenny said he would not be pressurised into a “box-ticking exercise” over the issue.
#BUS FIRE: Eleven people had to be evacuated after a Bus Eireann coach burst into flames on the M1 southbound earlier today. These photos show how badly burned the bus was in the incident.
#TRAINEE PILOTS: The Irish Aviation Authority has agreed to pay for flights home for some of the trainee Irish pilots left stranded in Florida after their training course was unexpectedly cancelled.
#50 CENT: American rapper 50 Cent’s planned appearance at Dundrum Town Centre tomorrow has been cancelled following complaints about remarks he made on Twitter about autism.
THINGS WE LOVED
- Who invented the remote control? The modern electric motor? Neon lighting? Today is Nikola Tesla’s birthday – he would have been 156 years old – so here’s a reminder from the Oatmeal about why he’s so important but doesn’t get the credit he deserves.
- Ever wanted to know what’s inside a $24,000 zombie apocalypse survival kit?
- Is this ad for a Galway club night – from reddit user j1202 – the most honest nightclub flyer you’ll ever see? Distinct possibility.
THINGS WE SHARED
- Buzzfeed has put together this masterful collection of 14 First World Problems from the 1990s. Our personal favourite:
- If you think you’ve seen all the spoofs of the seemingly-omnipresent Call Me Maybe, well, maybe the best has been left til last. Here’s Cookie Monster with his ode “You Got Cookie, Share it Maybe”. Don’t fight it.
(Video via SesameStreet/YouTube)