PRINCE WILLIAM’S NEW wife Kate Middleton and the former British Prime Minster Tony Blair are among the names now being linked to the News International phone hacking scandal.
The Metropolitan police is being urged to include the private investigator Jonathan Rees in its investigation after Labour MP Tom Watson said yesterday that a number of allegations have been made to police about the activities of Rees, reports The Telegraph.
The Guardian reports the Rees, hired by Ruper Murdoch’s News International which counts the News of the World among its titles, targetted Middleton and Blair, as well as Jack Straw, Peter Mandelson, Alastair Campbell, Prince Edward and the assistant commissioner of the Metropolitan police John Yates, who was in charge of the phone hacking inquiry for a year-and-a-half.
Rees had murder charges against him dismissed earlier this year, while The Guardian reports there are dozens of allegations of hacking and surveillance against him. Watson said in the Commons yesterday that that the police told him that investigating Rees falls outside the scope of their investigation.
The MP claims that “powerful forces are attempting a cover up” and has asked David Cameron what he intends to do about it.
News International says that Watson’s accusations are inaccurate and that it has not been asked for any information regarding Rees. The Guardian reports that Rees conspired with police officers to obtain information on behalf of the News of the World, the Sunday Mirror and the Daily Mirror.