TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 3 °C Monday 11 December, 2017
Advertisement

Kevin Spacey accused of 20 incidences of inappropriate behaviour from his time at London's Old Vic theatre

Spacey was artistic director at the famous venue for 11 years from 2003.

Kevin Spacey allegations The Old Vic theatre in London Source: PA Wire/PA Images

A WORLD-FAMOUS London theatre says it has received 20 accusations of ‘inappropriate behaviour’ on the part of its former artistic director Kevin Spacey.

Spacey was director at the institution for 11 years between 2003 and 2014.

The 57-year-old actor became the centre of bombshell sexual assault accusations in recent weeks after Star Trek Discovery star Anthony Rapp accused him of sexual misconduct towards the then 14-year-old following a party in New York in 1986.

Since then persistent rumours about his behaviour while working in London led to an internal investigation being opened by the theatre.

“The investigation resulted in 20 personal testimonies shared of alleged inappropriate behaviour carried out by Kevin Spacey during his time as artistic director,” the Old Vic said in a statement this morning.

Despite having the appropriate escalation processes in place, it was claimed that those affected felt unable to raise concerns and that Kevin Spacey operated without sufficient accountability.

“This is clearly unacceptable and the Old Vic truly apologises for not creating an environment or culture where people felt able to speak freely.”

Kevin Spacey allegations Spacey, pictured in August 2013 Source: PA Wire/PA Images

The accusations stem from alleged incidents occurring between 1995 and 2013, with all of those bar two happening before 2009. 19 of the 20 accusers either didn’t come forward at the time or asked that no formal action be taken.

‘Deep sympathy’

No legal claims were made during Spacey’s time with the theatre. The statement suggests that a “cult of personality” existed around Spacey at the time  which “may have prevented people, and in particular junior staff or young actors, from feeling that they could speak up or raise a hand for help”.

“It has… not been possible to verify any of these allegations, and it is important to note that Kevin Spacey has not commented on them.” it reads.

The review cannot therefore make any findings of fact about the alleged misconduct.

Spacey’s successor as artistic director Matthew Warchus said that he has “genuine and deep sympathy for all those who have come forward”.

“Everyone is entitled to work in an environment free from harassment and intimidation. The Old Vic is now actively engaged in the process of healing and the process of prevention,” he said.

Since Rapp’s initial accusation against Spacey at end October, the star has suffered a dramatic fall from grace, with multiple other allegations of sexual harassment or assault emerging against him.

His marquee role as Frank Underwood in the Netflix series House of Cards was abruptly ended, with the online streaming giant cutting all ties and announcing that the series will end following next year’s sixth season.

Read: Australian diplomat dies after fall from New York building

Read: Kevin Spacey is being replaced in a completed film that’s due for release next month

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (45)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel