This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 23 °C Monday 25 June, 2018
Advertisement

Kevin Spacey is being replaced in a completed film that's due for release next month

It comes following allegations of sexual harassment against Spacey.

Plummer (R) was reportedly director Ridley Scott's first choice for the role.
Plummer (R) was reportedly director Ridley Scott's first choice for the role.
Image: AP/PA Images

IN A WHOLLY unprecedented move, Kevin Spacey is being cut from Ridley Scott’s finished film All the Money in the World one month before it’s supposed to hit theatres.

People close to the production said that Christopher Plummer is replacing Spacey and will be commencing reshoots immediately in the role of J. Paul Getty.

All of Spacey’s scenes will be reshot, the people told The Associated Press. Co-stars Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams are expected to participate.

Scott, who is known to be an efficient director, is intending to keep the film’s 22 December release date. The director’s publicist Simon Halls confirmed the switch late last night.

The film was originally set to have its world premiere at the AFI Fest in Los Angeles on 16 November but was pulled earlier this week amid the sexual harassment reports surrounding Spacey, who has also been fired from House of Cards and dropped by his talent agency and publicist.

All the Money in the World was primed for a plush awards season release from distributor Sony Pictures Entertainment and its advertising campaign, which prominently features Spacey, has been public for about a month already.

Source: Zero Media/YouTube

 

But its plans have been in question since Spacey’s reputation has diminished over the past week with harassment allegations growing daily.

The film chronicles the events surrounding the kidnapping of 16-year-old John Paul Getty III and his mother’s attempt to convince J. Paul Getty, his billionaire grandfather, to pay the ransom.

The 87-year-old Plummer was reportedly Scott’s first choice for the role of J. Paul Getty, but the director was pressured into casting a bigger name.

Plummer is probably best known for The Sound of Music and won his first Oscar in 2012 for the film Beginners.

One of the people close to the production said that Scott’s plan caught Sony by surprise, but the studio is supporting the switch.

Read: US mother claims that police are investigating whether Kevin Spacey sexually assaulted her son >

Read: Ben Affleck says he wants to be ‘part of the solution’ in Hollywood sexual harassment scandal >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (67)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel