TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 16 °C Friday 31 October, 2014

Up to 70 people trapped after Mumbai building collapse

There were 22 families living in the five-story building, owned by the city’s civic administrative body.

Image: zeenews via YouTube

A FIVE-STOREY residential block collapsed in Mumbai at daybreak today leaving up to 70 people feared trapped inside, in the latest building disaster to hit India’s financial capital.

Crowds formed around the rubble of the completely flattened block, owned by the city’s civic administrative body, the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai, in the east of the city.

“My son is inside. I’m waiting for them to get him out,” distraught 62-year-old retiree Mithi Solakani told AFP as rescue workers scrambled over tonnes of debris.

Several diggers were pressed into action to lift some of the larger slabs of concrete, allowing teams of rescuers to begin the task of taking out bodies and searching for survivors.

One was removed covered in dark red cloth and carried to a waiting ambulance on a stretcher. Crowds of women waiting nearby could be heard sobbing.

Families living in the building

Local politician Bhai Jagtap said that 22 families lived in the destroyed block and seven to eight people had been brought out alive.

“The rest of the people are down below, calling people from inside. Rescuers are doing their level best to save lives,” he told AFP.

The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) also said that 22 families were housed there.

“We think up to 70 people are trapped,” Alok Avasthy from the NDMA told AFP at the scene.

The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai said that the building was for employees of the local administration and their families who had been asked to leave earlier this year.

“The building was around 30 years old. We had issued a notice to them in April, to vacate the building, but they did not act,” Vijay Khabale-Patil, the corporation’s spokesman, told AFP.

He did not explain why the families had been asked to leave.

Five other apartment blocks have collapsed in or close to Mumbai in recent months, including one in April that killed 74 people.

They have highlighted poor quality construction and violations of the building code, caused by massive demand for housing and endemic corruption.

- © AFP 2013.

Read: Death toll reaches 45 in India building collapse>

Read: Primark pledges further funds for victims of Bangladesh factory collapse>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (15 Comments)

Add New Comment