TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 13 °C Friday 1 August, 2014

No new inquiry into Stardust tragedy

The families of victims say that there is new evidence, but Alan Shatter says it is not enough for a new inquiry into the fire.

Gardaí stand outside the Stardust nightclub.
Gardaí stand outside the Stardust nightclub.
Image: Tony Harris/PA Archive

THE MINISTER FOR Justice has again ruled out another inquiry into the Stardust tragedy, despite the families of victims claiming that they have uncovered fresh evidence.

Speaking on behalf of Alan Shatter in the Dáil today, junior minister Dinny McGinley said that there was nothing that had been seen by Shatter that convinced him that a new inquiry was needed.

McGinley said that the 2009 Coffey Report into the 1981 tragedy that claimed 48 lives was still backed by the government, despite being disputed by the Victims Committee.

“The Minister has the greatest sympathy for all those affected by the fire, and understands of course that those involved in the Committee remain convinced that their explanation for what happened on the night is in fact what did occur.

Nothing he has seen in the extensive correspondence to date, however, would be grounds for his taking a different view to the conclusions set out in Mr. Coffey’s findings and endorsed in both Houses.

McGinley also said that the Coffey Report was “entirely independent”, saying that any suggestion otherwise was “unfounded”.

He added that Shatter would arrange for an examination of a submission from the Stardust Victims Committee, which is planned for 14 February, the 33rd anniversary of the fire.

Read: Stardust families “will reveal cause of fire” on 33rd anniversary

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (19 Comments)

Add New Comment