TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 16 °C Thursday 23 October, 2014

US Navy ‘ready to confront Iranian aggression’

Top US military official says that he takes Iran’s military capability seriously and the navy is ‘ready today’ to confront any hostility by Tehran.

THE TOP US Navy official in the Persian Gulf said today that he takes Iran’s military capabilities seriously, but insists his forces are prepared to confront any Iranian aggression in the region.

Vice Adm Mark Fox, commander of the 5th Fleet, told reporters at the naval force’s Bahrain headquarters that the navy has “built a wide range of potential options to give the president” and is “ready today” to confront any hostile action by Tehran.

He did not outline specifically how the navy might respond to an Iranian strike or an effort to shut the entrance to the Persian Gulf, though any response would likely involve the two US aircraft carriers and other warships cruising the waters off Iran.

“We’ve developed very precise and lethal weapons that are very effective, and we’re prepared,” Fox said. “We’re just ready for any contingency.”

Strait of Hormuz pressure

Faced with tightening Western sanctions, Iranian officials have stepped up threats to close the Strait of Hormuz if the country’s oil exports are blocked. A fifth of the world’s oil supply passes through the narrow waterway, which is only about 50km across at its narrowest point.

Iran and Oman share control of the waterway, but it is considered an international strait, meaning free passage is guaranteed.

Iran’s army chief, Gen Ataollah Salehi, early last month warned an American warship not to return to the Gulf shortly after the aircraft carrier USS John C Stennis and another vessel left. Another carrier, the USS Abraham Lincoln, entered the Gulf without incident on 22 January.

Fox acknowledged that Iran’s military is “capable of striking a blow” against American forces in the Gulf, particularly using unconventional means such as small attack boats or mines laid along shipping lanes.

“We’re not bulletproof. There are people that can take a swipe at us,” Fox said.

But he added that he has reminded officers under his command that they “have a right and an obligation of self defence” if attacked.

The admiral’s comments echo those of other Western officials, who say they will respond swiftly to any Iranian attempt to shut the Strait of Hormuz.

Gen Martin Dempsey, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, told CBS’ “Face the Nation” last month that Iranian forces could block shipping through the strait “for a period of time,” but added, “We can defeat that.”

Fox’s command encompasses the bulk of the Middle East, including the Red Sea, the Persian Gulf and a large swath of the Indian Ocean along the east African coast. There are about 25,000 sailors under his command.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (103 Comments)

Add New Comment