THE FOOD SAFETY Authority of Ireland has issued a warning to consumers here about a potentially contaminated batch of Lloyd Grossman Korma Sauce sold through Tesco Ireland.
A similar warning was issued in the UK over the weekend after a jar of the sauce was linked to two cases of botulism in Suffolk in which two children are understood to have eaten from the same jar.
Lloyd Grossman brand owner Premier Foods said it was issuing the recall notices “as a precautionary measure” after the botulism was reported.
The affected packs are 350g Korma sauce jars marked on the neck of the jar with the following details:
- FEB 2013
The FSAI told TheJournal.ie that the implicated batch has only been distributed here to Tesco Ireland and that 1,836 jars are affected.
Anyone who has a jar marked as per the recall notice is advised not to eat the product. Instead, it should be immediately disposed of or returned to the retailer.
FSAI CEO Professor Alan Reilly described botulism as a “particularly nasty illness” which can be potentially life-threatening.
“Foods contaminated with Clostridium Botulinum [the bacteria which produces the toxins] do not look, smell or taste any different from uncontaminated foods so given the serious nature of this illness our advice to consumers is if you have bought this specific product do not eat it,” Reilly advised.
Premier Foods is investigating the incident and says that no other Lloyd Grossman sauces or products are affected.