This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 16 °C Sunday 5 July, 2020
Advertisement

9 killed, and 45 wounded, after New Delhi court blast

A suitcase bomb detonates in a crowded waiting area outside the local High Court,

A man injured in this morning's Delhi explosion is rushed to a nearby hospital. At least 9 people have been declared dead after the blast.
A man injured in this morning's Delhi explosion is rushed to a nearby hospital. At least 9 people have been declared dead after the blast.
Image: Gurinder Osan/AP

A BOMB APPARENTLY hidden in a suitcase exploded this morning outside a crowded gate leading to the High Court in New Delhi, killing nine people and wounding 45 others.

The bomb exploded at about 10:10am local time (5:10am Irish time) near a line of more than 100 people, who waiting at a reception counter to get passes for entry to the court building. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

The explosion shook the courthouse, sending lawyers and judges fleeing outside, said Sanjiv Narula, a lawyer who was in the building.

“There was smoke everywhere. People were running. People were shouting. There was blood everywhere. It was very, very scary,” said Sangeeta Sondhi, another lawyer, who was parking her car near the gate when the bomb exploded.

People ran to the blast site to assist the injured, piling them into auto-rickshaws to take them to the hospital. Ambulances and forensic teams rushed to the scene, along with sniffer dogs and a bomb disposal unit, apparently checking for any further explosives.

Renu Sehgal, a 42-year-old housewife with a case before the court, had just received her pass and was standing nearby with her uncle and mother while her husband parked their car when she heard the explosion.

“The sound was so huge and suddenly people started running,” she said. “We were all in such a big panic… I’m lucky I survived.”

“It appears that the bomb was in a suitcase because we have the remains of that suitcase,” Home Secretary R.K. Singh told CNN-IBN television, adding that the court building had been immediately evacuated.

The High Court is an appeals court below India’s Supreme Court, operating on a regional basis.

The blast was the second explosion at the High Court this year. On May 25, a small explosion that appeared to be a failed car bomb erupted in the court parking lot.

This morning’s incident marks is the first major terror attack in India since a string of bombs exploded in three busy Mumbai neighbourhoods on July 13, killing 20 people.

Suspicion for those attacks fell on the shadowy extremist network known as the Indian Mujahedeen, though no one has been arrested.

The attack rekindled memories of the string of deadly bombings that rocked the country in 2008. But that violence had mostly abated after the November 2008 siege of Mumbai, when 10 Pakistan-based militants wreaked havoc across India’s commercial capital for 60 hours, killing 166 people.

However, a series of smaller attacks raised concerns in recent months that the violence was returning.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (1)