#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 7°C Tuesday 20 April 2021
Advertisement

School shooting video game removed online after backlash

The Active Shooter video game was pulled days before it was to be released.

A screengrab from the game.
A screengrab from the game.
Image: YouTube

A VIDEO GAMES company has removed a school shooting video game from its online platform following widespread backlash.

The Active Shooter video game was pulled days before it was to be released on the video game marketplace Steam.

Valve Corporation as Steam’s parent company said that it was removing the computer video game because the developer was a “troll with a history of customer abuse”.

The game was developed by Revived Games, published by Acid and led by a person named Ata Berdiyev.

Valve spokesman Doug Lombardi said Berdiyev had previously been kicked off the platform under a different business name.

The game allows players to re-create school shootings by stalking school hallways and racking up kills.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

It was condemned by the parents of students killed during a Florida school shooting in February.

The Seattle Times reports that an online petition urging Valve to pull the game before its scheduled 6 June release had more than 100,000 signatures.

Valve is a privately held company which has developed popular games such as Dota 2 and Half-Life.

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (31)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel