Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Advertisement

Apple's iOS ads could become more annoying as fullscreen ads arrive

Two new ad formats for iPhone and iPad will allow fullscreen ads and pre-roll videos to be included in apps and games.

Image: AP Photo/Jeff Chiu

APPLE HAS ANNOUNCED two new ad formats that will fill your entire iPhone and iPad screen.

The new ads formats, spotted by Apple Insider, will feature pre-roll video and fullscreen ads, alongside the traditional banner and MREC (medium rectangle) ads which appear on iOS apps.

App makers will now be able to include these features in their apps as part of iAd, Apple’s advertising system.

For the pre-roll ads, app developers will be able to run 15, 30 or 60 second ads, while full-screen ads can be displayed as a piece of content, or as a transitional screen between two sections of an app.

iOS ad format The four ad formats and the dimensions for each device. Source: Apple Developer

Previously, users would have to tap on a banner ad first before an ad would be made fullscreen, or appear during select intervals within the app or game you’re playing.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

Considering how fewer users are paying for apps or in-app content, developers will most likely want to avail of these formats to help generate revenue.

Under the iAd service, developers get 70% of the revenue generated from these ads while Apple receives the remaining 30%.

Read: Snapchat is on track to becoming a $10 billion company >

Read: Instagram’s new app makes timelapses ridiculously easy >

About the author:

Quinton O'Reilly

Read next:

COMMENTS (30)