This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 17 °C Friday 24 May, 2019
Advertisement

One Coalition party isn't keen on letting bedsits back onto the market

Tánaiste Joan Burton had previously suggested the ban could be examined.

Image: house sales via Shutterstock

THE BAN ON bedsits may not be as open to debate as previously suggested by the Coalition earlier this year.

Following the death of homeless man Joanthan Corrie meters from Leinster House earlier this month, Tánaiste Joan Burton noted that many bedsit dwellings previously on the market were no longer available.

The Tánaiste added that all steps that would assist in providing accommodation would be examined.

However, in a response to a parliamentary question from Terence Flanagan, Fine Gael Junior Minister with special responsibility for housing Paudie Coffey indicted a cooling of the Government’s attitude to this.

“Safe, healthy homes”

Coffey said more tenants are now living “in safe, healthy homes” as a result of the amended legislation.

“I have no plans to amend the regulations to reduce the standards required,” the Junior Minister stressed.

Bedsits were effectively banned in 2008 under new legislation which required dwellings to have its own sanitary facilities, independently managed heating, and facilities to the storage and preparation of food.

External toilets

Previous regulations, untouched since 1993, allowed for external toilets, no hot water, and an open fireplace as a heating source.

Figures contained in Census 2011 indicated that there were roughly 4,500 bed-sits across the country. Most of these were in Dublin, and many were unsafe.

Coffey said his Department has led an enforcement campaign since a four-year grace period for the new legislation ended.

“Up to October 2014, 66% of the non-compliant properties had been brought into compliance. Enforcement action continues against the remainder, including legal action in certain cases,” he explained.

There has debate over the extent to which the ban on bedsits has affected the property market.

Read: A TD used a Dáil question to ask if a water meter protester would have their dole cut >

More: Minister’s driver resigns from Irish Water >

From bedsit to stunning six-bed: Have a look around this dream home in Dublin >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Nicky Ryan

Read next:

COMMENTS (14)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel