This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 6 °C Wednesday 13 November, 2019
Advertisement

Canadian police kill 'terror suspect' who was allegedly planning suicide attack

The man, in his mid-20s, was under a court order not to associate with Islamic State.

The scene at Strathroy.
The scene at Strathroy.
Image: CBC

A SUSPECT BANNED from associating with the Islamic State group is dead after Canada’s national police force thwarted what an official said was a suicide bomb plot.

A senior police official said late yesterday that the suspect allegedly planned to use a bomb to carry out a suicide bombing mission in a public area but was killed in a police operation.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak about details ahead of a news conference today, identified the suspect as Aaron Driver.

Driver, originally from Winnipeg, Manitoba, and in his mid-20s, was under a court order from earlier this year to not associate with any terrorist organisation, including the Islamic State group.

In February, Driver’s lawyer and the prosecutor agreed to a peace bond stating there are “reasonable grounds to fear that he may participate, contribute directly or indirectly in the activity of a terrorist group”.

Winnipeg-based lawyer Leonard Tailleur, who handled Driver’s peace bond, said he was “shocked” to hear what had happened.

“Saddened to hear that it had to end this way for him,” Tailleur said in an email to The Canadian Press.

Operation 

A police operation continued well into last night in the southern Ontario town of Strathroy, about 225 km southwest of Toronto.

In Strathroy, resident Irene Lee said late yesterday that police had been camped out near her parents’ convenience store since about 4.15pm.

At about that time, she said she was at her home close by when she heard a loud noise. She said shortly afterward, a police officer came by to tell residents to stay inside their homes.

Lee said there were up to 25 marked and unmarked cruisers outside a home on a street right behind her parents’ store.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police earlier said it halted a possible attack after receiving credible information of a potential terrorist threat.

They said a suspect was identified and the “proper course of action has been taken” to ensure there was no danger to public safety.

Canadian Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said he had spoken to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau about the events “to confirm that public safety has been and continues to be properly protected.”

“The RCMP, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service and other police and security agencies were involved in the operations, he added.

“These agencies conducted themselves effectively in the circumstances that developed today,” Goodale said in statement.

Taking all relevant information into account, the national terrorism threat level for Canada remains at “medium” where it has stood since late 2014, Goodale said.

Read: Man attempts to scale New York’s Trump Tower with suction cups >

Read: Germany to propose burka ban as part of anti-terrorism measures >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (40)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel