#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: -2°C Sunday 11 April 2021
Advertisement

Channel 4 news team deported from Bahrain

The F1 event is over, but the controversy continues as news team deported on race day for operating without accreditation.

Anti-government protesters shout at riot police yesterday in Sanabis, Bahrain, on the edge of the capital Manama.
Anti-government protesters shout at riot police yesterday in Sanabis, Bahrain, on the edge of the capital Manama.
Image: AP Photo/Hasan Jamali/PA

A CHANNEL 4 NEWS team which was arrested in Bahrain yesterday has been deported from the kingdom this morning.

The broadcaster says that the three-person team was arrested yesterday while operating without official accreditation, which had been refused by the Bahraini government ahead of the weekend’s F1 grand prix race.

The race was cancelled last year due to political unrest and protests, but went ahead as planned this weekend despite ongoing violence.

On Saturday, Bahrain’s Interior Ministry confirmed an investigation has been launched into the death of a protester following clashes between demonstrators and security forces on Friday. At least 50 people have been killed in the Arab Spring-inspired protests since February 2011.

The station’s foreign affairs correspondent Jonathan Miller tweeted earlier today that he, cameraman Joe Sheffer, producer Dave Fuller, their driver, and activist Dr Ala’a Shehabi were arrested by police who confiscated their cameras and computers.

The Channel 4 team was then taken to the airport for deportation this morning, but Miller says that British Airways refused to board them over paperwork issues:

Miller later tweeted that a non-British airline was taking them home. There were also concerns for the safety of the driver and the activist who were arrested alongside the journalists, though Miller also later said they were released.

Bahrain’s foreign minister Khalid al Khalifa later dismissed concerns for the driver’s safety:

Journalists have criticised the Bahraini authorities for refusing to facilitate news coverage over the grand prix weekend, with news teams being denied visas for entry and denied visas for the period in question.

BBC’s Middle East bureau chief Paul Danaher said this morning on Twitter he was “amused” to hear Bahraini authorities criticise the Channel 4 news team for failing to get the relevant visas like other news organisations, when his own team had to leave the country days ahead of the F1 race:

Poll: should the Bahrain Grand Prix have been cancelled? >

Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel gets back to winning ways in Bahrain >

Read next:

COMMENTS (5)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel