This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 5 °C Monday 9 December, 2019
Advertisement

Captain of Costa Concordia to face trial for manslaughter of 32 people

Francesco Schettino faces 20 years if convicted.

Francesco Schettino says he is the hero of the Costa Concordia tragedy - as he navigated the ship to maximise the number of passengers who could escape.
Francesco Schettino says he is the hero of the Costa Concordia tragedy - as he navigated the ship to maximise the number of passengers who could escape.
Image: Salvatore Laporta/AP

AN ITALIAN JUDGE has ordered the captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship to stand trial for manslaughter in the vessel’s shipwreck off the coast of Tuscany, which killed 32 people.

Judge Pietro Molino, at a closed-door hearing in the town of Grosseto, agreed to prosecutors’ request that captain Francesco Schettino be tried on charges of manslaughter, causing the shipwreck and abandoning the vessel while many of its 4,200 passengers and crew were still aboard.

The Concordia hit a jagged reef on January 13, 2012, sustaining a massive gash in its hull and causing the ship to rapidly take on water just off the island of Giglio in the Mediterranean Sea.

Passengers said the ship’s evacuation was delayed and chaotic. The cruise ship listed so badly to one side that some life boats couldn’t be launched, and many people aboard had to jump into the sea and swim to the tiny island in the dark.

Schettino will be the only defendant in the trial, which begins on July 9. The five other defendants successfully sought plea bargains, which are now being handled separately.

Schettino risks up to 20 years in prison if convicted. He contends he is innocent and is being made a scapegoat, insisting that the reef wasn’t marked on the ship’s navigational charts.

He has also depicted himself as a hero in the tragedy, saying that he skillfully steered the stricken ship closer to Giglio’s harbour, thus facilitating the rescue of the survivors.

His lawyer, Francesco Pepe, told reporters the judge rejected the defence’s request to throw out the charge of abandoning the ship. The judge last week rejected Schettino’s plea-bargain bid, which would have drastically reduced his sentence in case of a conviction.

The disgraced captain attended the hearing but made no comment afterwards to reporters.

“Schettino is calm,” the Italian news agency LaPresse quoted his lawyer, as saying. “The decision today isn’t a judgment on merits. The judge only evaluated whether the appropriate place for all the charges to be decided is a trial.”

Prosecutors have alleged that Schettino steered the ship too dangerously close to the island in a publicity stunt for Costa Concordia SpA, the Italian cruise ship company.

The Concordia still lies in the water on its side outside Giglio’s harbour as a sophistical removal plan has fallen far behind schedule. Experts had promised to have the wreck out of there before the start of the island’s summer tourist season. But a date for its removal has been postponed by at least months.

The bodies of two of the 32 victims were never found.

Read: Here’s how the Costa Concordia wreck is being removed

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (17)