This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 18 °C Friday 19 July, 2019
Advertisement

Jihadist to become first person to plead guilty to war crimes for destroying historic monuments in Timbuktu

The man had told his defence lawyer he was “a Muslim who believes in justice.”

A postcard published by Edmond Fortier showing the mosque in 1905-1906.
A postcard published by Edmond Fortier showing the mosque in 1905-1906.
Image: Wikimedia Commons

A MALIAN JIHADIST will seek forgiveness from his people for attacking the world heritage site of Timbuktu when he pleads guilty at an unprecedented case before an international war crimes court, his lawyer said this week.

Ahmad Al Faqi Al Mahdi will become the first person to admit to war crimes charges before the International Criminal Court (ICC) based in The Hague at a joint hearing and sentencing due to be held in the coming months.

He stands accused of jointly ordering or carrying out the destruction of nine mausoleums and a section of Timbuktu’s famous Sidi Yahia mosque, a UNESCO-protected world heritage site dating back to the 15th and 16th centuries.

Mahdi is the first jihadist suspect to appear before the ICC and the first person to be solely charged with war crimes for an attack on a global historic and cultural monument.

Mahdi, who is aged around 40, had told his defence lawyer, Mohamed Aouini, he was “a Muslim who believes in justice.”

Ahmed timbuk Ahmad Al Faqi Al Mahdi appearing before the ICC last year Source: Screengrab via YouTube

“He wants to be truthful to himself and he wants to admit the acts that he has committed,” Aouini told a hearing at the ICC Tuesday.

And he wants to ask at the same time for pardon from the people of Timbuktu and the Malian people.

“He regrets all the actions that he has committed,” Aouini added.

Destroying ancient shrines

Mahdi will admit a single charge of “the war crime of attacking buildings dedicated to religion and historic monuments” in 2012, when many of the ancient shrines were destroyed.

Reuters reported at the time that Jihadist Islamists in Timbuktu had destroyed a number of important world heritage sites in a bid erase all traces of what they regarded as un-Islamic idolatry.

6917859_0301e7c7c3_o The Sankore Mosque in Timbuktu Source: upyernoz via Flickr

The Jihadists broke down the doors to the Sidi Yahya Mosque – which locals had said must be remained shut until the end of the world.

Mahdi’s prosecution comes amid a global outcry over the razing by the so-called Islamic State group of sites in Iraq and Syria that bear testament to the world’s collective history.

ICC prosecutors say Mahdi was a leader of Ansar Dine, a mainly Tuareg group that controlled areas of Mali’s northern desert together with Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) and a third local group in early 2012.

Judge Raul Pangalangan said the court had hoped to open the trial in mid-June, but both the defence and prosecutors asked for longer to prepare, and suggested 25 August.

Pangalangan said judges were “willing to accommodate a request” to start the trial after the Muslim festival of Eid al-Fitr which ends the fasting month of Ramadan in early July.

“However the chamber emphasises that this trial needs to proceed expeditiously,” he warned, appearing to signal that late August was too far away. The judges will issue a decision on the trial’s start date later.

- © AFP, 2016

Read: Here are some of the heritage sites Islamic State have blown up so far

Read: This group is digitally preserving the world’s heritage sites for future generations

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (36)