Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Silence

WATCH: Dáil falls silent to highlight plight of children in need of cochlear implants

Sinn Féin TD Jonathan O’Brien asked that the Dáil observe the silence “to get some understanding of what those children have to endure”.

Updated 3.43pm

YouTube: Hugh O’Connell

THE DÁIL FELL silent for two minutes this afternoon as TDs debated a private members’ motion on the issue of cochlear implants for children who are deaf.

As parents of these children staged a silent protest outside the Dáil Sinn Féin was inside aiming to get the government to agree to fund the provision of bilateral cochlear implants for around 200 children.

Cork North Central TD Jonathan O’Brien called for the Minister for Health to provide the €12.8 million for the scheme.

He asked that the Dáil observe the silence “to get some understanding of what those children have to endure”.

“If two minutes felt awkward I can only imagine what a lifetime of silence would be like,” O’Brien told the chamber after the silence.

James Reilly has previously said that the provision of bilateral implants is “a high priority” for government next year, but there was no specific announcement in the Budget on Tuesday.

Reilly repeated that claim today, saying it is one of his “top priorities” during a statement on the motion.

Earlier, speaking on behalf of the government, junior minister Kathleen Lynch said that any plan to provide bilateral cochlear implants “needs to be developed and argued in the Health Service Executive service plan and that’s what’s going to happen here”.

“We are in there and we are negotiating the service plan and we are negotiating it to get the best possible result,” she said referring to the HSE budgetary plan for next year which is expected to be published in the next three weeks.

She said it is “her fervent hope that we can” provide implants for the children. The debate can be watched here.

First published 1.41pm

Read: Silent protest outside Dáil today over childrens’ cochlear implants funding

Reilly: “Priority” to offer children bilateral cochlear implants in 2014

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
49
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.