#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 8°C Wednesday 27 January 2021
Advertisement

Emails of Norway attacks suspect Anders Breivik hacked - report

A Norwegian journalist says he was sent information hackers claim came from the account of the man accused of carrying out last month’s deadly terror attacks.

Floral tributes to the 77 victims of last month's attacks.
Floral tributes to the 77 victims of last month's attacks.
Image: AP Photo/Lefteris Pitarakis

A GROUP OF teenage hackers claims to have accessed the personal email account of the Norwegian man accused of carrying out two terrorist attacks in Oslo last month.

Eight people were killed when a car bomb exploded in Oslo city and 69 were shot dead in a mass shooting on the island of Utoya, where the Labour Party was hosting a political youth camp. Anders Behring Breivik, 32, has been arrested on suspicion of planning and perpetrating the attacks.

The Independent reports that Norwegian journalist Kjetil Stormark says he was sent contents from emails the hackers claim belong to Breivik. Stormark subsequently gave the material to police.

Norwegian prosecutor Christian Hatlo told the AP yesterday that police are increasingly convinced that Breivik acted alone in the attacks, but are continuing to investigate the possibility he had links to right-wing extremists elsewhere in Western Europe.

Breivik has been cooperating with the police investigation, according to the authorities. Although he admits carrying out the attacks, Breivik says he is not guilty because he believed they were necessary. He has agreed to be evaluated by psychiatrists and if found insane, could be ordered to be held at a psychiatric institution until he is no longer deemed insane.

Commemoration

The BBC reports that top Norwegian pop act a-ha, famous for its hit song Take On Me, will reunite to perform at a special event in Oslo commemorating the 77 victims of the two attacks.

On its official website, the band says it will perform “to honour those who have been torn away, to show appreciation to everyone who made an effort to help on 22 July, and to express our sympathy to the survivors who now are left in sorrow.”

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

The ceremony will be held on 21 August.

- Additional reporting by the AP

Read next:

COMMENTS