#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 2°C Thursday 21 January 2021

House flooded? Insurance advice from the experts

Has your home or business been damaged in the floods? The Irish Insurance Federation said that household buildings and contents insurance will usually cover damage caused by flooding. More advice inside.

A MONTH’S RAIN fell on parts of the east yesterday – leading to widespread flooding.

If you were one of the many whose home or business was affected by the floods, the Irish Insurance Federation has issued advice that may help you.

Michael Horan, non-life manager at the IIF said that home and business owners who have suffered damage should contact their insurers as quickly as possible.

He added that insurers are working hard to ensure that policyholders’ claims are handled quickly and many insurers have emergency helplines for their customers.

Horan also said:

We advise people to take sensible precautions to prevent further damage to their property, without risking injury to themselves.  For example, furniture and valuables may be moved to an upper storey.

Regarding what is covered by insurance, the IIF said that:

  • Household buildings and contents insurance will usually cover damage caused by flooding;
  • Damage to cars is covered by comprehensive insurance policies;
  • Insurers will usually pay for the cost of temporary repairs, so ensure that you keep copies of receipts;
  • Insurers will also pay for the cost of alternative accommodation, if the house becomes uninhabitable (up to stated limits);
  • Householders should check the full extent of their policies and contact their insurer or broker as quickly as possibly.

As for the cost of the flood, Horan commented:

“There is no doubt that flooding has already caused extensive damage to homes and businesses in the East.  However, it is too early at this stage to estimate the cost of flood related damage – this figure will not be available for at least three to four weeks.”

The IIF represents 63 insurance companies in Ireland.

What do you do if your car is flooded? Here’s advice from the experts.

The Office of Public Works has a dedicated website for people affected by flooding.

Read: More rain expected today>

Read: Floodwaters recede but disruptions still in place across Dublin>

Read next: