This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 3 °C Saturday 14 December, 2019
Advertisement

Junior minister admits mistakes over Sligo breast cancer services promise

John Perry, who hung up during an interview about his promise for the services, gave a press conference on the issue yesterday.

Image: Eleanor Keegan/Photocall Ireland

JUNIOR MINISTER John Perry admitted at a press conference in Sligo last night that it had been a mistake to promise that breast cancer services would be returned to Sligo within the first 100 days of the new government’s term.

Ocean FM reports that Perry did not announce the full restoration of the services during his press conference yesterday, but he said that mammography services would resume in the last quarter of 2011.

The Save Our Cancer Services North West group, which is campaigning for the full restoration of the services, said it was disappointed and called on Perry to resign for failing to fulfil his promise.

Perry hung up the phone during a live interview with Ocean FM recently when questioned about plans to restore the services. Speaking afterwards to TheJournal.ie, Perry said: “I said what I said and I had nothing else to add”.

He also said that restoring the health services was “not a situation of going in and turning the switch back on”.

Poll: How would you grade the government’s first 100 days? >

Read: In numbers: The first 100 days of the Fine Gael-Labour coalition government >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (9)