This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 11 °C Thursday 21 March, 2019
Advertisement

Kenny won’t attend TV3 debate

FG leader confirms he will not be participating in the first leaders’ debate this Tuesday evening, citing scheduling difficulties.

Image: Con/Demotix/Press Association Images

FINE GAEL LEADER Enda Kenny has confirmed he will not be participating in the first leaders’ debate this Tuesday night on TV3, saying his schedule prevents him from attending.

Kenny had said earlier he would not participate in any programme involving the TV3 presenter Vincent Browne.

Browne had apologised to Kenny after making controversial comments about him last summer during the failed FG leadership heave.

Kenny suggested his seat should remain empty on-air, as a symbol for all the people who were forced to emigrate from Ireland “by virtue of the incompetence and reckless management” of the economy by Fianna Fáil.

The debate programme is due to be presented by Ursula Halligan and Vincent Browne. Last week, TV3 said that Micheál Martin and Eamon Gilmore had both confirmed their attendance for the televised debate, and it was extending an open invitation to Kenny.

RTÉ reports that at a press event earlier today, Kenny said that although he had an issue with Browne over his comments on suicide, he was unable to attend the debate because of his busy schedule.

Poll: Will you watch any leaders’ debate? >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (20)

    Trending Tags