This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 16 °C Thursday 13 August, 2020
Advertisement

Amanda Knox: 'What happened to me could have happened to anyone'

In a bid to promote her autobiography that is out today, Knox says she wants “the truth to come out”.

 Amanda Knox speaking during a taped interview with ABC News' Diane Sawyer in New York.
Amanda Knox speaking during a taped interview with ABC News' Diane Sawyer in New York.
Image: (AP Photo/ABC, Ida Mae Astute)

AMANDA KNOX WANTS “to be to be reconsidered as a person”.

In an interview with ABC’s Diane Sawyer to help promote her autobiography Waiting to be Heard that is out today, Knox says she wants “the truth to come out”.

“I was in the court room when they were calling me a devil,” she told Sawyer. “It’s one thing to be called certain things in the media and it’s another thing to be sitting in a courtroom, fighting for your life, while people are calling you a devil”.

“For all intents and purposes I was a murderer whether I was or not. And I had to live with the idea that that would be my life”, Knox added.

Knox spent four years in an Italian prison for stabbing fellow student and friend, 21-year-old Meredith Kercher. Prosecutors described what 25-year-old Knox did, along with then boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, 29, as a drug-fuelled sex game gone wrong along with another man.

Knox and Sollecito had their convictions overturned in October, 2011, while Rudy Guede, from the Ivory Coast, is serving a 16-year prison sentence over the murder of the student, from Surrey in the UK.

However, last month, Italy’s highest criminal court overturned Knox’s acquittal in the 2007 murder of the British student and ordered a new trial. Italian law cannot compel the 25-year-old Knox to return for the trial, and family spokesman David Marriott has said it’s doubtful she will go to Italy.

The full interview with Diane Sawyer will air in the US tonight on ABC, here is a preview of it:


ABCNews/YouTube

Read: Amanda Knox has ‘no plans’ to return to Italy for retrial>

More: Father of Meredith Kercher tells of moment he learned of daughter’s death>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Amy Croffey

Read next:

COMMENTS (70)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel