This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 12 °C Tuesday 10 December, 2019
Advertisement

The Labour Court has recommended an 18.3% pay increase for Luas drivers

Union Siptu now says that it will put the recommended increase to its members.

11/2/2016 Luas Transport Strikes Source: Mark Stedman

THE LABOUR COURT has issued recommendations regarding suggested wage increases in an attempt to break the impasse in the ongoing Luas industrial action.

The new recommendation suggests an increase of 18.3% in basic pay for the drivers over the course of the next four years until September 2020, a jump from the previously tabled offer of 15.6%.

The Labour Court has also suggested that an increase in shift length not be introduced, a key issue for the drivers in their rejection of recommendations from the Workplace Relations Commission in March.

Regarding the introduction of lower starting-pay for new recruits, another key issue for the drivers, the Labour Court said that the issue should be revisited within 18 months.

Other recommendations include that a payment of €750 be made up front to the drivers given their bonus for 2016 has been forfeited, and restoration of the 10% salary cut applied by Luas operator Transdev, with all money outstanding to be paid also.

27/3/2016 LUAS Light Rail Industrial Disputes Striking Luas drivers pictured at the Red Cow depot in March 2016 Source: RollingNews.ie

Siptu now says it will consult with its members as to the next course of action, although representative Owen Reidy said he couldn’t speculate as to what will happen.

“I don’t know is the honest answer,” he told TheJournal.ie this evening.

“We’ve a meeting of the committee tomorrow morning, then we’ll make arrangements with our members for a number of further meetings.

We’ll explain what’s involved, take them through every part of the recommendations so they can make a very informed choice and decision.

The drivers had been planning for strike action this Thursday and Friday but in all likelihood, given the workers will be considering the Labour Court recommendations, those strikes will be called off.

Transdev itself meanwhile said this evening that the “comprehensive recommendations from the Labour Court regarding the ongoing dispute require detailed examination”.

A number of these recommendations involve additional cost implications which will need to be carefully assessed.

It said that a considered response will be issued before the end of the week.

Read: Woman to be charged in relation to murder of Gareth Hutch

Read: Wife of David Mahon says he is “forgiven but not forgotten” for killing her son

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (150)