This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: -1 °C Monday 18 November, 2019
Advertisement

Search for missing walker suspended for second night

The search for the man, who was reported missing yesterday, will resume at 7am tomorrow morning.

Mweelrea mountain
Mweelrea mountain
Image: amerune via Flickr/Creative Commons

THE SEARCH FOR a man who went missing while walking on Mweelrea Mountain has been called off for the night.

Around 30 people took part in the search today, with another 10 expected to take part in the search tomorrow.

Although a helicopter took part in the search today, it could not be used for the part of the day due to bad weather conditions.

A participant in the search, from Mayo Mountain Rescue, told TheJournal.ie that the search was called off once it got dark, but that they are hoping the weather will pick up tomorrow so that the helicopter can be used.

“We covered the places we wanted to look at first,” said the participant, adding that the mountain area is very large, but they have been searching the spots where accidents are likely to happen.

The missing man is 38 years old and went out walking in the area two days ago. He is believed to have a mobile phone with him but has not been contactable on it so far, due to the poor reception in the area.

Read: Search resumes for missing walker in Mayo>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (6)