#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 3°C Thursday 26 November 2020
Advertisement

Prince Andrew speaks out publicly about sex abuse allegations in Davos

The prince reiterated denials that have been made on his behalf by Buckingham Palace, telling business leaders his focus is on his work.

Image: Michel Euler/AP/PA

PRINCE ANDREW TODAY publicly denied allegations he had sex with an underage girl.

He made the denial during a visit to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. It was his first public appearance since the allegations.

US lawyers representing a woman who claims she was forced to have underage sex with Prince Andrew have filed papers requesting that he respond to her claims under oath.

Buckingham Palace officials have strongly denied that he had any sexual involvement with the woman, who is identified only as Jane Doe No 3 in court papers.

“I just wish to reiterate and to reaffirm the statements which have already been made on my behalf by Buckingham Palace,” Prince Andrew said.

He went on to say: “My focus is on my work.”

The royal has faced increasing pressure to speak about the allegations since they first emerged earlier this month.

The woman behind the claims says in court papers the prince’s denials are false.

“I hope my attorneys can interview Prince Andrew under oath about the contacts and that he will tell the truth,” she says in the papers.

Read: Woman making Prince Andrew sex claims says she will not be ‘bullied back into silence’>

Read: Buckingham Palace deny Prince Andrew underage sex allegations>

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS