This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 10 °C Wednesday 22 May, 2019
Advertisement

Security firm loses €100 million over London Olympics failure

Military personnel and other security had to step in after security firm G4S failed to meet the terms of its contract last summer.

File photo
File photo
Image: Andrew Milligan/PA Wire/Press Association Images

THE ORGANISERS OF last summer’s London Olympics said today that security firm G4S has agreed to take a hit of nearly €100 million (£85 million) over its failure to meet the terms of its contract.

Organisers had to scramble to provide military personnel and other extra security after G4S admitted it could not provide all of the 10,400 security guards it had promised for games venues.

The two sides have been in talks over a final settlement for the approximately €278 million (£240 million) security contract.

The London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) said G4S had agreed to an adjustment of nearly €100 million (£85 million) in the terms of the contract.

That includes just over €55 million (£48 million) to cover “all the additional military, police and other step-in costs” incurred by organisers because of G4S’s failure and a reduction in the project management costs and operational costs paid to G4S.

Home Secretary Theresa May said in a statement that the government fully backed the agreement. She said it met the government’s objective that British taxpayers would not be “adversely impacted” by the failure of G4S to meet its obligations.

The statement also stressed that Olympic organisers did not have to pay for any services that were not delivered.

G4S said its total loss from the games would be just over €81 million (£70 million), more than its previous estimate of just over €58 million (£50 million).

G4S chief executive Nick Buckles said the agreement had been reached without protracted legal proceedings.

“The UK government is an important customer for the group and we felt that it was in all of our interests to bring this matter to a close,” he said.

Read: London 2012: Head of security firm admits ‘humiliating shambles’ >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (6)