This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 14 °C Tuesday 15 October, 2019
Advertisement

Serial killer 'no longer a threat' after remains of seven women found behind US shopping centre

The suspect’s name has not been released by police, but they say there is no threat to the public.

serial Victims of the New Britain, Connecticut serial killer. Source: State of Connecticut

THE REMAINS OF four more victims have been found in a wooded area behind a strip mall that police described yesterday as the dumping ground for a serial killer suspected in seven deaths.

It was the same area where the partial skeletons of three women were found in 2007, police said.

“This is certainly the burial site,” New Britain police Chief James Wardwell said.

Name withheld

Authorities did not release the suspect’s name but said without elaborating on whether the person is in custody that there is not a threat to the public.

If the serial killing theory proves true, the case would rival that of Connecticut’s most notorious serial killer, Michael Ross, who admitted slaying eight women and girls in Connecticut and New York in the 1980s and was put to death in 2005 in New England’s first execution in decades.

MICHAEL ROSS Michael Ross

One of the newly discovered victims has been identified as Melanie Ruth Camilini, a mother of two from Seymour, who like the other identified victims had last been seen in 2003.

Authorities said they are still attempting to identify three other victims.

Skeletal remains 

Investigators have returned to the site annually since the skeletons’ discovery in 2007, but a specially trained FBI dog helped locate the new victims. Wardwell said testing on the remains found behind the shopping center on April 28 showed they belonged to four new victims.

The partial remains of Diane Cusack, Joyvaline Martinez and Mary Jane Menard were discovered by a hunter there eight years ago.

Source: WTNH News8/YouTube

Menard’s son, Brian McKinney, said it was sad to know other families would be enduring the pain of learning loved ones had been killed but he was glad to learn there is no threat to the public.

“It’s a relief to know that it’s not going to happen again,” he said

Menard’s sister, Anna Santiago, said:

“At least we know that pretty soon we will have justice.”

Chief state’s attorney Kevin Kane said it was a sad day for all the families.

“Now they have some answers, but the answers that they have aren’t good, either. And that’s what I hope people pay attention to today, how sad this really is.”

Wardwell has said Cusack, Martinez and Menard had substance abuse problems. All three women were known to frequent the same downtown New Britain neighborhood.

Cusack, of New Britain, had been out of contact with her family for years and was never reported missing, police said.

Victims 

Martinez was last seen in October 2003. Her family has said she was unemployed and was living with her mother, and relatives became concerned when she didn’t show up for her birthday party.

Menard, of New Britain, was a substance abuse counselor who had a daughter serving oversees in the military when she disappeared that October, police said.

In a strange coincidence, the body of a teenage girl, Elizabeth Honsch, was found behind the strip mall in 1995. A week later, the body of her mother, Marcia Honsch, was found near an entrance to Tolland State Forest in western Massachusetts. Each had been shot in the head.

Police have said they don’t believe those two killings are related to the cases of Cusack, Martinez and Menard.

Marcia Honsch’s husband and Elizabeth Honsch’s father, Robert Honsch, was charged with murder.

He pleaded not guilty and awaits trial. Authorities say he killed his family and then started a new life and a new family.

Read: Over €2,000 raised for homeless man whose tent and possessions were burned by teen gang>

Read: This is how the Irish whiskey industry plans to take on the world>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (12)