This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 14 °C Tuesday 7 April, 2020
Advertisement

Shatter indicates pardon on the way for Irish deserters who fought in WWII

Thousands of Irish soldiers fled the Defence Forces to fight for the Allies in World War II. They were persecuted upon their return to Ireland.

Alan Shatter
Alan Shatter
Image: Sam Boal/Photocall Ireland

JUSTICE AND DEFENCE Minister Alan Shatter has indicated that thousands of Irish soldiers who deserted from the Defence Forces to fight in World War II will be given a pardon later this year.

Shatter has now received legal advice from the Attorney General on the issue of a potential pardon for an estimated 5,000 Irish soldiers who joined the Allies in World War II and were persecuted upon their return to Ireland.

The issue is the subject of a campaign to have the men pardoned. They were denied all Defence Forces’ pay and pension rights upon their return to Ireland and were prevented from working for the State for a period of seven years.

The so-called ‘starvation orders’ were issued at a time when anti-British sentiment was high in Ireland and the government feared civil unrest unless action was taken against the men, analysts have said.

Speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland Shatter said that the thousands of men who had left to fight for the Allies against Nazi Germany had “contributed to the future of freedom and democracy in Europe”.

He said it was now a time to revisit the issue of pardoning the men, the majority of whom have since died.

“I believe it’s now right that we revisit historically how this issue was dealt with,”he said. “There was a motion passed, which I welcome, in the Stormont parliament this week, supported by all sides, calling for a pardon.”

The Justice Minister said that legal matters needed to be considered and that having received advice from the Attorney General he would be discussing the issue with Cabinet before making a statement later this year.

A number of TDs and Senators have backed the campaign to have the Irish soldiers who deserted pardoned.

Labour TD Gerald Nash has previously said that the behaviour of the government of the day towards the men “is not only a stain on their honour but on the honour of Ireland.”

Shatter considers pardon for Irish soldiers persecuted for fighting Hitler

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Hugh O'Connell

Read next:

COMMENTS (21)