Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now

Tesco extends lead as Ireland's most popular supermarket

The latest Kantar Worldpanel show Tesco has gained market share in the last year, while Dunnes has slipped back.

Image: James Horan/Photocall ireland

TESCO HAS EXTENDED its status as Ireland’s most popular supermarket, according to the latest round of independent figures.

The statistics on share of the grocery market, independently compiled by Kantar Worldpanel, show Tesco as holding a 28.6 per cent share of the market in the twelve weeks up to the end of September – up from 27.8 per cent a year ago.

Dunnes Stores retains second place, but has seen its share of the market fall in the last year – from 23.3 per cent in the equivalent period last year to 21.6 per cent this year.

Supervalu remains third, with small growth from 19.4 per cent to 19.7 per cent. Superquinn follows, with a slight drop from 5.7 per cent to 5.5 per cent.

Duelling low-cost chains Aldi and Lidl have both grown, with Aldi recording the biggest relative growth of any supermarket chain. It now controls 6.0 per cent of the grocery market.

This figure stood at 4.6 per cent, meaning Aldi’s market share has grown by 29.8 per cent in the last twelve months.

Lidl controls a higher share of the market, at 6.6 per cent, a marginal increase on 6.5 per cent.

Kantar Worldpanel commercial director David Berry said Aldi had been “the star performer for a number of years, and this is reflected in its 29.8 per cent growth rate”.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

“While the grocery market as a whole remains subdued, there are still some areas that are performing well,” he said.

Sales of alcohol at the grocers have grown by 8 per cent this quarter, showing that staying in and having a drink is an increasingly popular choice for those of us who are on a budget.

In all, multiples account for 87.9 per cent of the total grocery market – with other outlets making up the other 12.1 per cent, down from 12.8 per cent a year ago.

About the author:

Gavan Reilly

Read next: