This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 3 °C Friday 15 November, 2019
Advertisement

Two die after eating poisonous death cap mushrooms in Australia

Four people were hospitalised after eating the fungi at a New Year’s Eve party last weekend.

Image: Photo by Maja Dumat - flickr.com via Creative Commons

TWO PEOPLE who consumed toxic mushrooms at a New Year’s Eve party in Canberra, Australia have died.

Four people were hospitalised after eating the poisonous death cap mushrooms at the party and two passed away last night, the Canberra Times reports.

One person remains in hospital and another person has been released and is not expected to suffer any long-term effects from the poisoning.

According to Australia’s Department of the Environment, one cap mushroom contains enough poison to kill a healthy adult and warns that there is no way to remove the poison from the mushroom for safe consumption.

It also warns that the toxic mushrooms are easily confused with straw mushrooms found in south-east Asia which are safe to eat.

Death cap mushrooms are commonly found in the suburbs of Canberra, Melbourne and other parts of Victoria.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (4)