This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 18 °C Wednesday 5 August, 2020
Advertisement

Two killed after Israeli aircraft strike Gaza Strip

Two men reported dead after Israeli aircraft struck the southern Gaza Strip targeting rocket-launching militants.

A boy stands next to a burned cars following Saturday night's rocket attacks from the Gaza Strip, in Ashdod, southern Israel, early Sunday, 30 October.
A boy stands next to a burned cars following Saturday night's rocket attacks from the Gaza Strip, in Ashdod, southern Israel, early Sunday, 30 October.
Image: Ariel Schalit/AP/Press Association Images

ISRAELI AIRCRAFT STRUCK the southern Gaza Strip targeting rocket-launching militants, the military said today, and Palestinian officials reported that two men were found dead in the area.

The strike came after two days of rocket attacks and airstrikes that risked escalating into a more serious cycle of violence, although Israel’s defence minister downplayed the chances that a large-scale ground offensive into Gaza would be launched.

The Israeli military said in a statement that its aircraft attacked a squad that had just fired a rocket into Israel.

Palestinian security officials said two bodies were discovered around dawn wearing the uniform of al-Ahrar, or “The Free People”, a little-known group with ties to Gaza’s militant Hamas rulers that previously had no history of violence against Israel.

The men were unarmed and no rocket launchers were found in the area, the officials said.

Deadly violence between Israel and Gaza militants flared over the weekend. In earlier exchanges of rockets and airstrikes, 10 militants and an Israeli civilian were killed.

But despite the worst bloodshed in months, both sides have indicated they were interested in restoring calm.

Israeli defence officials are eager to contain the attacks on southern Israel, where more than 1 million people live within the range of Gaza militants’ rockets.

Israeli defence officials have confirmed that contingency plans have been drawn up for a broad invasion of Gaza to topple Hamas, which would require Israel to reoccupy the territory.

But they said this is a worst-case scenario among many options, and the preference is to restore the calm that has largely prevailed since 2009.

“I don’t rule out that at some point we might find ourselves required to embark upon a full-fledged operation (in Gaza),” Defense Minister Ehud Barak told Army Radio on Monday. “(But) I am not one of those people who miss returning to Gaza.”

Most of the violence this weekend has been between Israel and Islamic Jihad, an Iranian-backed group that is considered even more extreme than Hamas.

On Sunday, Islamic Jihad said it was prepared to halt the violence provided Israel would do so, too.

While acknowledging that Hamas militants were not directly responsible for the recent rocket fire, Israel says it holds the group accountable for attacks from Gaza. And there is little doubt that Hamas’ control — when it wants to exercise it — is strong.

Hamas, which overran Gaza in June 2007, lost hundreds of men in a fierce Israeli war against rocket squads three years ago and has largely maintained calm since then.

The group is also waiting for Israel to free more than 500 Palestinian prisoners in a second phase of a swap for a long-held Israeli soldier.

Read: Gaza militants offer ceasefire as attacks continue>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (2)