#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 8°C Wednesday 28 October 2020
Advertisement

UK says sorry for drowning of Iraqi boy forced into canal by British soldiers

The soldiers were acquitted of manslaughter in a British court.

British soldiers targeted by a roadside bomb in Basra.
British soldiers targeted by a roadside bomb in Basra.
Image: AP/Press Association Images

THE UK MINISTRY of Defence has apologised for the 2003 death of an Iraqi teen who drowned after being forced into a canal by four British soldiers.

Officials said the department is “extremely sorry” for the death of 15-year-old Ahmad Jabbar Kareem Ali, who had been taken into custody by British forces on suspicion of looting in the southern Iraqi city of Basra.

An independent inquiry into the death led by a former High Court judge said the soldiers’ failure to help the boy after he started to drown was the “certain” cause of his death. He did not know how to swim.

The soldiers were tried in a British court for manslaughter and were acquitted in 2006.

Read: Islamic State mass graves reveal thousands of dead bodies and extent of horror >

Read: Iraqi forces arrest would-be teenage bomber days after Kurdish wedding attack >

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (39)