TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 0 °C Saturday 25 March, 2017
Advertisement

Two elderly water charge protesters remanded in custody

Sean Doyle and Eamonn McGrath took part in a protest in Kilcoole on Monday.

TWO ELDERLY MEN have been remanded in custody following a water charges protest in Kilcoole.

Sean Doyle and Eamonn McGrath took part in a protest in Kilcoole on Monday.

On Tuesday, there were tense scenes in Bray as the pair were escorted from Bray courthouse, with protesters clashing with gardaí on the main road.

The two men, both in their 70s, were in front of Judge David Kennedy in Bray this morning on trespassing charges.

Doyle and McGrath, who were both on crutches in court, were remanded in custody and are to appear before Cloverhill District Court on 24 May.

On behalf of her clients, their solicitor requested the two men’s medications be supplied to them while in custody. The solicitor told the court there had been an issue this week with Doyle accessing his medication.

It was also requested that McGrath have access to painkillers for his hip. Judge Kennedy said the two men should have access to medications deemed necessary to them.

Large crowds gathered outside Bray courthouse this morning, and access to the court room was restricted. There was a heavy garda presence, with at least 18 members of the gardaí on the premises.

bray 2 Gardaí guard the entrance to Bray courthouse this morning. Source: Christina Finn

Family members were permitted to see the two men briefly before their court appearance. Sinn Féin TD John Brady was present in court today and he is due to visit the two men in the coming days.

“It is disgraceful that Sean Doyle and Eamon McGrath have been remanded in custody for protesting against water charges,” said Brady.

A cross-party group of TDs have expressed concern over the imprisonment of the two men. Video footage of the protest in Kilcoole and the scenes in Bray on Tuesday were widely circulated on social media.

A statement signed by Clare Daly TD, Cieran Perry, Deputy Lord Mayor, Mick Wallace TD, Eoin O’Broin TD, David Cullinane TD, Gino Kenny TD, Jonathan O’Brien TD, Thomas Pringle TD, Joan Collins TD, Richard Boyd Barrett TD, and Catherine Connolly TD, condemns the imprisonment of Doyle and McGrath.

A delegation of politicians will attempt to visit the two men in the coming days.

Comments on this article have been disabled due to ongoing court proceedings.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Most Popular Today

Trending Tags