TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 8 °C Sunday 21 December, 2014

Pro-Russian gunmen have stormed a Ukrainian military command centre

Around 20 attackers entered the base without firing a shot, report say.

Unidentified gunmen pictured last week at a separate base.
Unidentified gunmen pictured last week at a separate base.
Image: Darko Vojinovic/AP/Press Association Images

A RUSSIAN MILITARY truck has broken down the gates of a Ukrainian base in the Crimean port city of Sevastopol, the Interfax news agency has reported.

No shots are believed have been fired in the incident.

The 100 Ukrainian troops are stationed at the base have been under siege by the pro-Russian troops on Friday

About 20 “attackers” entered the base, throwing stun grenades.

Ukraine’s defence ministry said they are pro-Russian militants.

The Ukrainians barricaded themselves inside one of their barracks, and their commander began negotiations, Interfax said.

The base is a command centre for a tactical group of Ukraine’s air force.

In the week since Russia seized control of Crimea, Russian troops have been neutralizing and disarming Ukrainian military bases on the Black Sea peninsula. Some Ukrainian units, however, have refused to surrender.

Crimea’s new leader has said pro-Russian forces numbering more than 11,000 now control all access to region and have blockaded all military bases that haven’t yet surrendered.

Additional reporting by AFP

Earlier: Obama and Putin hold hour-long phonecall on Ukraine crisis >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (111 Comments)

Add New Comment