FORMER MINISTER FRANK Fahey has received a “six-figure sum” and an apology following the settlement of his libel action against Associated Newspapers, the publisher of the Irish Daily Mail and the Irish Mail on Sunday.
Fahey took the action over articles written in 2006, 2007 and 2010.
In its apology, Associated Newspapers said it had “wrongly” reported that Fahey had been accused in the Dail of being involved in tax evasion. The newspapers said they had also published “inaccurate” statements relating to his administration of the Lost at Sea Scheme, RTE reports.
Fahey’s solicitor said the large figure granted in damages to his client reflected the “gravity of the slurs on his character”.