This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 15 °C Saturday 4 July, 2020
Advertisement

Frank Fahey receives large sum and apology in libel action against Associated Newspapers

The former minister took the action over newspaper articles written in 2006, 2007 and 2010, which he said libelled him.

Former minister Frank Fahey has received an apology and a six-figure sum in damages
Former minister Frank Fahey has received an apology and a six-figure sum in damages
Image: Leon Farrell/Photocall Ireland

FORMER MINISTER FRANK Fahey has received a “six-figure sum” and an apology following the settlement of his libel action against Associated Newspapers, the publisher of the Irish Daily Mail and the Irish Mail on Sunday.

Fahey took the action over articles written in 2006, 2007 and 2010.

In its apology, Associated Newspapers said it had “wrongly” reported that Fahey had been accused in the Dail of being involved in tax evasion. The newspapers said they had also published “inaccurate” statements relating to his administration of the Lost at Sea Scheme, RTE reports.

Fahey’s solicitor said the large figure granted in damages to his client reflected the “gravity of the slurs on his character”.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (29)