This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 17 °C Monday 20 August, 2018
Advertisement

Garda awarded €25,000 after being rammed by man he previously saved from machete attack

Detective Garda Clifford Singleton sustained long term neck injuries as a result.

Image: Leah Farrell/RollingNews.ie

A 43-YEAR-old garda hero, whose car was rammed by a man he had previously saved in a machete attack, has been awarded €25,000 compensation in the High Court for whiplash injuries.

Detective Garda Clifford Singleton, who sued the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, told the court that in May 2001, he had been investigating vans being stolen from the docks in Dublin.

He said An Garda Síochána had been tipped off about a delivery which was to take place in Raheny, Dublin, and had been waiting at Hilltop Shopping Centre. After witnessing the transaction, he had shouted “gardaí” to the van driver who tried to escape.

Detective Garda Singleton told his barrister, Ivan Daly, that he tried to block the van with his unmarked garda car but the driver continued at speed and rammed his vehicle.

The court heard the man was later apprehended. Singleton said he suffered soft tissue injuries to his neck, right shoulder and knee, and to his lower back. The court heard he had ongoing pain.

Dublin based Singleton said during a Garda compensation hearing that he later attended his GP. He had felt he could manage the pain at the time.

The Minister had argued that medical reports at the time of the incident stated a recovery prognosis of one year. The State alleged that Singleton’s ongoing symptoms were triggered by another incident, when he tried to lift a television in 2007.

Daly told the court that Singleton was a successful member of the detective unit who had willingly put himself in danger in the behalf of Irish citizens.

Counsel said the driver of the van had been saved by Singleton from being attacked by two people with a machete several years before the 2001 incident.

Mr Justice Bernard Barton said he believed Singleton’s evidence but he had no recent medical evidence to support his claim. The judge said he had to accept medical reports which stated a “contrary view”.

Awarding him €25,000 compensation, the judge said it was reasonable to think that Singleton’s symptoms lasted for several years as he had been involved in a very severe ramming incident.

Read: Gardaí considered other possible causes of death in case of GP accused of killing daughter

Read: Convicted killer admits threatening witness in manslaughter case

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Ray Managh

Read next:

COMMENTS (31)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel