Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
LAST UPDATE | 26 Jan
THE REMAINS OF the final hostage in Gaza have been recovered, Israel’s military has said, clearing the way for the next phase of the ceasefire that paused the Israel-Hamas war.
The announcement that the remains of Ran Gvili had been found and identified came a day after Israel’s government said the military was conducting a “large-scale operation” in a cemetery in northern Gaza to locate them.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called it “an incredible achievement” for Israel and its soldiers, telling Israeli media that “I promised we would bring everyone home and we have brought everyone home”.
He said Gvili, who was killed during the Hamas-led attack on 7 October 2023, was among the first to be taken into Gaza.
The return of all remaining hostages, living or dead, has been a key part of the Gaza ceasefire’s first phase, and Gvili’s family had urged Israel’s government not to enter the second phase until his remains were recovered and returned.
Ytzik Gvili, the father of the last hostage returned from Gaza under a US-brokered ceasefire exchange deal, said he was proud of his son after his coffin arrived in Israel on Monday.
“You should see the honours we’re giving you here. All the police is with with you, all the army is with you, all the people are with you. I’m proud of you my son,” Gvili said at a ceremony held shortly after his son’s remains were returned at an Israeli military base near Gaza.
Netanyahu’s office said yesterday that Israel would open the Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt, which Palestinians see as their lifeline to the world, once the search for Gvili was finished.
It has been largely shut since May 2024, except for a small period in early 2025.
Israel and Hamas have been under pressure from ceasefire mediators including Washington to move into the second phase of the US-brokered truce, which took effect on 10 October.
Israel had repeatedly accused Hamas of dragging its feet in the recovery of the final hostage.
Hamas had said it had provided all the information it had about Gvili’s remains, and accused Israel of obstructing efforts to search for them in areas of Gaza under Israeli military control.
Israel’s military had said the large-scale operation to locate Gvili’s remains was “in the area of the Yellow Line” that divides the territory.
Gvili, a 24-year-old police officer known affectionately as “Rani”, was killed while fighting Hamas militants.
Before Gvili’s remains were recovered, 20 living hostages and the remains of 27 others had been returned to Israel since the ceasefire, most recently in early December.
Israel in exchange has released the bodies of hundreds of Palestinians to Gaza.
The next phase of the 20-point ceasefire plan has called for creating an international stabilisation force, forming a technocratic Palestinian government and disarming Hamas.
More than 480 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire since the ceasefire officially took effect, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say