TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 14 °C Wednesday 17 September, 2014

Update: Max Clifford charged with 11 counts of indecent assault

Publicist Max Clifford has been charged with carrying out the offences between 1966 and 1985. He has issued a statement about today’s decision.

Max Clifford (File photo)
Max Clifford (File photo)
Image: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire

Updated 7.13pm

PUBLICIST MAX CLIFFORD has been charged with 11 counts of indecent assault allegedly committed between 1966 and 1985.

The offences related to seven female complainants, the youngest of whom was aged 14 and the oldest of whom was aged 19 when the alleged assaults took place.

Clifford was initially arrested on 6 December 2012 over allegations of sexual offences as part of the investigation which began into BBC presenter Jimmy Savile.

The Crown Prosecution Service in the UK said this evening that the evidence into allegations against Clifford had been carefully considered before charges were brought.

“Having completed our review, we have concluded that there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest for Mr Clifford to be charged with 11 offences of indecent assault relating to seven complainants,” said Alison Saunders, the Chief Crown Prosecutor for the Crown Prosecution Service in London.

The earliest charge dates back to 1966 and involved a 14 year old girl. The two most recent charges relate to an alleged assault on an 18-year-old woman in 1984 and 1985.

The Crown Prosecution Service said there was insufficient evidence to authorise charges in relation to three separate allegations.

Acknowledging the high profile nature of the case, prosecutors emphasised that Clifford has a right to a fair trial and called on the media to be careful in how the case is reported.

“It is very important that nothing is said, or reported, which could prejudice the trial,” said Alison Saunders.

Clifford will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on 28 May.

In a statement issued to ITV today, he said he has been living a “24/7 nightmare” since being arrested last December.

“A black cloud has been place over me, obliterating the bright blue skies that I have been fortunate to live my life under for the vast majority of the past 70 years.”

He denied all charges, stating the allegations are “completely false”.

“I have never indecently assaulted anyone in my life and this will become clear during the course of proceedings,” he added.

He noted that the CPS’s decision to prosecute has been distressing for his wife Jo and daughter Louise.

“However, at least I will now be in a position to fully consider all the evidence against me and to answer the evidence in public and ultimately clear my name in a court of law”.

Comments have been disabled on this post as legal proceedings are active.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next: