NEED TO CATCH up? TheJournal.ie brings you a round-up of today’s news…
Happy families. The Duff’s from Drumcondra welcome Emily Rose into the world. Ireland’s first baby of 2014. (Pic: Mark Stedman / Photocall Ireland)
- Gardaí have launched a murder investigation after 30-year-old Wayne McQuillan was stabbed to death in Drogheda last night. A woman is still being held by gardaí in connection with the stabbing.
- Two men died in a car crash in Mayo early this morning.
- Emily Rose, the new daughter of Brian and Monica Duff from Griffith Avenue in Dublin, was Ireland’s first baby of 2014.
- Heavy rain, strong gales and high tides caused flooding and road closures along the east coast.
- A kitesurfer was rescued from extreme weather conditions in Dublin Bay as reports of a person washed into Howth harbour prove to be a false alarm.
- The Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act came into force today after regulations were signed at the end of December.
- A PSNI officer was slashed in the face with a stanley knife this afternoon. A 16-year-old has been arrested.
- After being questioned about the issue of horse welfare, Agriculture Minister Simon Coveney said the situation is “under review” but there was no major problem.
- Waterford train station will be closed for a number of days after a landslide.
- New guidelines on reunification applications in the immigration system will offer more transparency according to the Government.
- State papers from 1983 have revealed that the then Government was strongly opposed to a UK military vehicle manufacturer setting up shop in Ireland.
A Hoffman X-4 “Mullet Skiff” airboat takes off from St. Petersburg in Florida en route to Tampa to as it recreates the first scheduled commercial airline flight exactly 100 years ago. (Pic: Brian Blanco/AP Images)
#CZECH REPUBLIC: The Palestinain Ambassador to Prague, Jamal Al Jamal, was killed by a explosion at his residence.
#COLORADO: Business owners in recreational ‘pot shops’ opened their doors to shoppers today in a law change that will be watched closely around the world.
#SCHUMACHER: The Formula One star’s spokesperson Sabine Kehm has revealed that he is in a stable condition with doctors continuing to monitor him closely.
#EURO: Latvia today became the eighteenth country and the second Baltic state to join the EU single currency.
- Snapchat users have been warned that their phone numbers and usernames may have been put online by hackers.
- Curious about the near future in technology? Here’s our five tech trends that will help shape 2014.
(Pic: Brian Lawless/PA Wire)
This guy on the east pier in Howth was nearly caught by the nasty weather in Dublin today. We put together some of the best images from today’s New Year’s Day storm.