TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 5 °C Friday 19 December, 2014

Savita: Family to take case to European Court of Human Rights

Earlier this week, Mrs Halappanavar’s father issued an ultimatum to the Health Minister to announce by today that he was to hold a public inquiry into her death.

Praveen and Savita Halappanavar
Praveen and Savita Halappanavar
Image: Photocall Ireland

THE FAMILY OF Savita Halappanavar are to take a case to the European Court of Human Rights, it has been confirmed this evening.

Praveen Halappanavar’s solicitor, Gerard O’Donnell, told RTÉ’s Drivetime that Savita’s husband has instructed him to submit an application to the court. He said that Mr Halappanavar felt he had no option but to seek legal redress.

Earlier this week, the father of Savita Halappanavar, Andanappa Yalagi, said that the family were giving Health Minister James Reilly until today to decide to hold a public inquiry into the 31-year-old woman’s death on 28 October.

It is believed they will begin looking at their options for the ECHR case next week.

The HSE and the Health Information and Quality Authority have both begun separate investigations into the circumstances surrounding Mrs Halappanavar’s death. Mr Halappanavar is not cooperating with either of these investigations.

Read; Savita’s family may take a case to the European Court of Human Rights>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (108 Comments)

Add New Comment