This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 11 °C Tuesday 23 October, 2018
Advertisement

'Of course he said it': Billy Bush speaks about 'grab them by the p***y' Trump tape

There have been reports that Trump has questioned the authenticity of the tape.

BILLY BUSH SAID it was indeed Donald Trump’s voice captured on a 2005 Access Hollywood tape talking about fame enabling him to grope and try to have sex with women.

“Of course he said it,” the former Access Hollywood and Today show personality said in an op-ed published yesterday in The New York Times.

The video shows Trump, who was the star of The Apprentice, riding on an Access Hollywood bus with then-host Bush. At one point, Trump describes trying to have sex with a married woman.

People Billy Bush TV star Billy Bush was fired over the tape. Source: Richard Shotwell/PA Images

He also brags about women letting him kiss and grab them because he is famous.
“When you’re a star, they let you do it,” Trump says. “You can do anything.”

“Along with Donald Trump and me, there were seven other guys present on the bus at the time, and every single one of us assumed we were listening to a crass standup act. He was performing. Surely, we thought, none of this was real. We now know better,” Bush said in the op-ed.

The recording of the lewd conversation between Bush and Trump emerged during the 2016 presidential campaign. Trump later said he never did any of the actions described on the tape, and dismissed his words as locker room talk.

Source: NBC News/YouTube

In the waning days of the presidential election, more than a dozen women came forward to say that Trump had sexually assaulted or harassed them over the years. He denied it.

But Bush said he believes the women, and he felt the need to write the piece following reports that Trump had privately suggested that the Access Hollywood tape was not authentic.

“I can only imagine how it has reopened the wounds of the women who came forward with their stories about him, and did not receive enough attention,” Bush said.

This country is currently trying to reconcile itself to years of power abuse and sexual misconduct. Its leader is wantonly poking the bear.

Last week it was reported by the New York Times that Trump has cast doubt on the authenticity of the tapes to some of his aides, despite previously apologising for what he said on the recordings.

Speaking yesterday on Meet the Press on NBC News, former Trump campaign adviser David Bossie said it was “clearly” Trump on the tape and that he believes Trump acknowledges this.

Source: NBC News/YouTube

Bush, who had recently been hired as co-host of the Today show, lost his job following the release of the tape. He said he has since gone through a lot of soul searching.

“None of us were guilty of knowingly enabling our future president,” he said in the op-ed. ”But all of us were guilty of sacrificing a bit of ourselves in the name of success.”

- With reporting by Rónán Duffy

Read: ABC suspends journalist after inaccurate report on Trump’s ex-advisor’s Russian contacts >

Read: ‘Just more fake news covering another Comey lie’: Trump in war of words over ex-FBI chief he fired >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (80)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel