We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor being driven away by police on Thursday. Reuters

Met Police asks Andrew's former close protection officers what they 'saw and heard'

There have been allegations Andrew’s protection officers turned a blind eye to his visits to Epstein’s island.

FORMER CLOSE PROTECTION officers to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor are being asked to “consider carefully” whether they witnessed anything relevant to the Metropolitan Police’s investigations on foot of the Epstein files.

The Metropolitan Police said it was also working with counterparts in the US to establish whether London airports had been used to “facilitate human trafficking and sexual exploitation”.

On Friday, the force said no new reports of alleged sexual offences have been made since the release of millions of pages of documents related to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein by the US Department of Justice.

Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office and held in custody for 11 hours before being released under investigation. 

The arrest came after the British king’s brother, who has been stripped of the title of prince, was alleged to have shared sensitive information with Epstein during his time as the UK’s trade envoy.

Epstein’s island

The Met had previously said it was looking into allegations Mountbatten-Windsor’s protection officers turned a “blind eye” to his visits to Epstein’s island, Little St James.

Police are yet to identify any wrongdoing by close protection officers.

Mountbatten-Windsor’s primary accuser, Virginia Giuffre, alleged she had sex with him during an orgy with “underage” girls on the Caribbean island.

Mountbatten-Windsor has previously vehemently denied all allegations made against him.

In a statement this afternoon, the Met said it was identifying and contacting former and serving officers who may have worked closely, in a protection capacity, with Mountbatten-Windsor.

“They have been asked to consider carefully whether anything they saw or heard during that period of service may be relevant to our ongoing reviews and to share any information that could assist us,” the Met said.

It added that while there has been extensive media reporting and commentary, no new criminal allegations have been made to the Met regarding sexual offences within its jurisdiction.

“We continue to urge anyone with new or relevant information to come forward. All allegations will be taken seriously and, as with any matter, any information received will be assessed and investigated where appropriate,” the Met said.

Searches have been ongoing at Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home – Royal Lodge, in Windsor, Berkshire – following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office on Thursday.

Thames Valley Police, who are leading that investigation, are yet to receive any “early investigative advice” from the Crown Prosecution Service in relation to the allegation, it is understood.

On Friday, a helicopter circled Royal Lodge, with unmarked vans, believed to be police vehicles, entering the grounds throughout the morning.

A police presence remained at the Sandringham Estate but searches of Mountbatten-Windsor’s Norfolk home concluded on Thursday.

Close
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds