This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 11 °C Sunday 19 May, 2019
Advertisement

Ariana Grande sends message of support as Manchester marks one year since deadly terror attack

Twenty two people lost their lives in the bombing.

Image: UPI/PA Images

SINGER ARIANA GRANDE has said she is thinking of all those affected by the Manchester bombing as the UK prepares to hold a national minute’s silence to remember the victims of the attack.

Twenty two people lost their lives when a suicide bomber blew himself up at Grande’s concert this day last year.

Since then, the singer has returned to Manchester a number of times and also organised a benefit gig in the aftermath of the bombing which helped raised millions for the families of the deceased and those left with life-changing injuries as a result of the attack.

Posting on Twitter, Grande wrote: “Thinking of you all today and every day. I love you with all of me and am sending you all of the light and warmth I have to offer on this challenging day.”

There will be a minute’s silence in the UK at 2.30pm this afternoon. Those who will attend the memorial service in Manchester include UK Prime Minister Theresa May and Prince William.

Investigations into the Manchester attack are ongoing. Police have yet to determine if suicide bomber Salman Abedi acted alone or with assistance from a sophisticated cell.

A report into the Manchester Arena bombing in March of this year found that the fire service “played no meaningful role” in the response to the attack for nearly two hours.

The attack left hundreds injured when a device was detonated in the arena at 10.31pm following the concert.

The report by Lord Kerslake found that there is not one single reason nor one individual that caused the failure of the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS), rather it was a combination of poor communication and poor procedures.

The report said that both GMFRS and North West Fire Control felt they had “let down the people of Greater Manchester and other visitors to the city that night”.

Over 50 recommendations were made in the report regarding the response of the emergency services on the night of the attack.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (26)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel