Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
LAST UPDATE | 11 Sep 2023
TAOISEACH LEO VARADKAR has joined EU Commissioner Maros Sefcovic in Belfast to announce €1 billion worth of EU funding for Northern Ireland.
Varadkar and European Commission Vice-President were joined at the announcement in Belfast by a representative of the UK government, the head of the Northern Ireland Civil Service Dr Jayne Brady, and Public Expenditure Minister Paschal Donohoe.
The new funding plan will see €1.1 billion received through PEACEPLUS, a new EU programme aiming to build reconciliation and greater prosperity across Northern Ireland and the border counties of Ireland.
PEACEPLUS will deliver investment across six key themes designed to ensure the continued economic, social and environmental development of Northern Ireland.
Development and management of EU North/South programmes is the responsibility of the Special EU Programmes Body (SEUPB), a North/South Implementation Body established under the Good Friday Agreement.
The SEUPB is headquartered in Belfast, with smaller offices in Omagh and Monaghan, and is jointly sponsored by the Department of Public Expenditure, National Development Plan Delivery and Reform in Ireland and the Department of Finance in Northern Ireland.
During his visit, Varadkar will also have a bilateral meeting with the UK government representative to discuss the importance the Irish Government attaches to the restoration of the powersharing institutions and to the British/Irish partnership, as well as the Irish Government’s concerns relating to the UK government’s Legacy Bill.
The Northern Ireland Troubles (Legacy and Reconciliation) Bill includes a form of limited immunity for some perpetrators of crimes committed during the conflict and would also prevent future civil cases and inquests into Troubles offences.
Varadkar has previously said the Irish Government would “give consideration” to taking an interstate case against the UK at the international court of the Council of Europe if the Bill became law.
The Taoiseach will also engage with Northern Ireland business during the visit.
Speaking today, Varadkar said: “Although we are making this announcement against the stark backdrop of suspended power-sharing Institutions, today is a welcome reminder of just what is possible, and how we can make real progress.
“When Ireland, Northern Ireland, the UK and the EU work together, it yields a significant dividend for Northern Ireland and the border region.”
Speaking during his visit to Belfast today, Sefcovic said it was a matter for the Northern Ireland parties when the Stormont powersharing institutions would return.
“We will do our utmost to ensure that the talks between the parties and the UK Government result in having the Northern Ireland executive up and running. The Windsor Framework provides the answer in a definitive manner. What we are focusing on now is the proper implementation,” he said.
“I think Northern Ireland, with its unique access to both the internal market of the UK and the single market of the EU has tremendous opportunities and I am sure it will be reflected in the next couple of days when the investment conference is taking place.”
With reporting by Hayley Halpin
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say