Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Terror Attack

Eight arrested in Tunisia with 'direct links' to beach massacre

The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the massacre.

Updated 19.26

TUNISIA HAS ARRESTED eight people in connection with last week’s jihadist massacre at a seaside resort.

Last Friday’s attack saw 38 people shot dead by 23-year-old student Seifeddine Rezgui at the beach resort of Sousse.

“Eight people with direct links to the carrying out of the operation, including a woman, have been arrested,” said Kamel Jendoubi, the minister who heads a crisis group set up after the attack.

“The security services have been able to… uncover and destroy the network that was behind this operation,” Jendoubi told a news conference, without elaborating on their alleged role.

Returning home

Earlier today the bodies of three Irish people who tragically lost their lives in the terror attack in Tunisia arrived home to Ireland.

The Irish victims were Laurence and Martina Hayes from Athlone and Meath mother-of-two Lorna Carty.

Tunisia terrorist attack PA Wire / Press Association Images PA Wire / Press Association Images / Press Association Images

The funeral of Mr and Mrs Hayes will be held at 11am tomorrow morning. The couple are survived by their daughter Sinead.

Lorna Carty, a nurse from Robinstown, was on holiday with her husband.

She was killed when a gunman opened fire on sunbathers who were lounging on the beach at the five-star Riu Imperial Marhaba Hotel.

Lorna Carty Facebook Facebook

The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the massacre.

The 23-year-old gunman was an engineering student, he was later shot dead by police.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny described the attack as “an act of hatred”.

It comes on the same day that 27 people were killed at a Shiite mosque in Kuwait and a suspected Islamic terrorist attacked a factory in France.

Additional reporting by AFP. 

First published 08.37

Read: Now formally identified, the three Irish victims of the Tunisia attack can come home>

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
31
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.