This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 12 °C Friday 22 February, 2019
Advertisement

Community thanked for patience as 'temporary' boil water notice is lifted after seven years

Over 50 premises were affected in Burncourt, including a national school.

Image: Shutterstock/nikkytok

A BOIL WATER notice put in place over seven years ago has been lifted in Co Tipperary.

About 200 people and 53 premises, one of which was a national school, were affected by the notice in Burncourt.

Tipperary County Council originally imposed a boil water notice in the area in 2009, while a subsequent notice was issued in 2013.

Irish Water announced the ban was lifted last week, on foot of advice from the Health Service Executive and the completion of the Burncourt Regional Water Scheme.

People can now resume normal use of the water supply for drinking, food preparation and brushing teeth.

The scheme involved the construction of a new 2,600 cubic-metre per day treatment plant, a new reservoir, sludge holding tanks and ancillary works.

In a statement, Irish Water said: “This is part of an overall €15 million upgrade of the Burncourt and Fethard water supply schemes in the county. The upgrade of these water supply schemes will ensure that a sustainable and reliable supply of drinking water is provided to the communities in Burncourt and Fethard.”

Katherine Walsh, regional manager with Irish Water, commented: “Irish Water and Tipperary County Council acknowledge the patience, cooperation and assistance of the general public during the period of the boil water notice and greatly regret any inconvenience caused to householders and the business community.”

Patience

Local councillor Marie Murphy welcomed the news, saying residents are relieved the notice has finally been lifted.

Murphy also thanked people for their patience, noting: “In 2009, because residents were not happy with the water supply, some had the water tested in private laboratories and the results were brought to the notice of the EPA and the HSE.

A temporary notice was issued by South Tipperary County Council on the advice of the HSE on 1 September 2009 because e.coli had been detected.

The Fine Gael councillor said the previous water source in Burncourt “had a high content of organic material which was not being removed”.

“While this organic material had no health implications on its own it acted to consume the residual chlorine in the water supply so, by the time the water travelled to the outer lengths of the scheme at Skeheenarinky … the remaining level of chlorine in the water was low leaving the supply vulnerable in the event of any contamination,” Murphy said.

Read: Boil water notice lifted in Roscommon after 2.5 years

Read: Angelina Jolie wants Irish animation to give ‘strong message about empowerment’

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Órla Ryan

Read next:

COMMENTS (28)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel

     

    Trending Tags